This role is within the Finance & Efficiency community, where there is a focus on ensuring that the whole organisation makes decisions in the best financial interests of our members.
As a key member of the Financial Reporting team, this Senior Assistant Accountant role is a vital one, with the main responsibilities being contributing to the preparation of the annual financial statements for Nationwide's subsidiary companies, as well as significant involvement in the preparation of the Group's year end and interim financial statements. There will also be significant involvement in the preparation of the management accounts of the Nationwide Foundation.
This role will suit someone who enjoys the core accounts preparation aspect of their accountancy qualification, enjoys working in a team and can deliver under pressure.
At Nationwide we openly put our 15 million members at the centre of every decision we make as a business. Every role, no matter what it's doing, is member focused.
Your success isn't based on how long you spend at your desk. You'll have contracted hours, but we're always happy to support flexible working wherever we can. That might mean working from home or different Nationwide offices or agreeing a working pattern to help you balance work and life. We will always strive to find a way that works for everyone.
If we receive a high volume of relevant applications, we may close the advert earlier than the advertised date, so please apply as soon as you can.
What you'll be doing
You'll work within the Financial Reporting team, with a focus on the preparation of annual statutory financial statements, both for the main Nationwide Group accounts, as well as the Society's subsidiary companies. In addition, you'll be significantly involved in the preparation of the monthly management accounts of the Nationwide Foundation.
You'll be a qualified or nearly-qualified accountant with a good understanding of core accounting concepts, able to produce financial statements and management accounts to a high quality, at times under tight time pressure, and able to understand and explain the business drivers for period-on-period variances.
You will be well supported by your experienced colleagues, with plenty of opportunity to learn and develop in the role.
As a minimum, you should:-
- Qualified or nearly-qualified accountant (ACA, ACCA or CIMA)
- Good analytical skills
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Good process and stakeholder management
- Enjoy working within a team.
- Good Microsoft Office skills (Excel most relevantly)
- Focus on high standards and attention to detail
It would be nice if you had:
- Financial services experience
- Recent management accounts or financial statements preparation experience
We're also interested in who you are as a person. Why? Because our membership is made up of so many different kinds of people, so we want our employees to be just as diverse. We'd love to hear about:
- Your values, and what makes you who you are
- How you'd make a difference to our members in this role
We know applying for jobs can sometimes feel like you're sending an application into a black hole. We review each application individually. So, it's a good idea to call out your most relevant experience on your application to give yourself the best chance.
The extras you'll get
Our people's success isn't based on how long they spend at their desk. While you'll have contracted hours, we want to offer a flexible environment where possible. That might be working from home or logging on from other offices across the UK.
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension - if you put in 7% of your salary, we'll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday pro rata
Lorien Internal is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.
your application has been submitted