Informatics Automation Developer
6 month contract
Competitive day rate
We're currently seeking an Automation Developer, with Python skills, to work within a state of the art, high output diagnostics laboratory environment as part of the UK's NHS Test and Trace programme.
As well as playing a vital role in supporting society's return to a more normal way of life by helping to break the chains of COVID-19 transmission, you will also gain invaluable experience and exposure to some of the country's most highly skilled individuals in the scientific community.
This represents a once in a lifetime opportunity to go above and beyond to support public health, while also extending your already accomplished technical skills and positioning your Scientific career for further success and growth.
To provide software design and engineering in support of laboratory operations and management.
- Develop workflows and interfaces between our commercial Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) and our internal software platforms. This will include developing automation scripts, data validation rules, systems monitoring and alerting, and complex calculations.
- Specify and deliver software engineering solutions to clinical LIMS issues of a highly technical nature.
- Take strong ownership of software engineering standards, documentation, tools, methods, and environments, proposing and delivering a standardised approach to software engineering across the company, so as to avoid a collection of point-solutions and instead create a unified and integrated software portfolio supporting the whole UK Biocentre business-as-usual operation.
- Produce rapid and telling solutions for the Exec Management Team in response to requests for management information reports and dashboards.
- Deliver reporting solutions in the form of web pages, dashboards and formatted reports for external laboratory customers.
- Investigate and resolve data issues relating to occasional but sometimes urgent problems with laboratory test cases. Take full responsibility for the maintenance of the LIMS database.
- Provide technical support of the end-to-end LIMS technology solution, diagnosing and driving out resolutions for issues both on the local site and in the commercial LIMS application.
- Undergraduate degree in IT or computer science
- 3+ years of demonstrated software engineering, automation and reporting experience with scripting languages such as Python and R
- 3+ years of experience programming ERP applications, preferably but not essentially relating to Biological Sciences
- Sound software configuration management, software testing discipline, and development governance, as well as pure development
- Postgre database design and administration to expert level
- Linux operating system administration at the command line, including editors and file management
- Good familiarity with MS SQL Server relational database (for legacy systems)
- Administration and configuration of Git software management tools
- Automation scripting using Python
As well as a competitive rate of pay, you will also be joining a diverse and hugely welcoming team. Diversity at NHS Test and Trace is about reflecting the communities we serve, holding the principles of equality and inclusion at the heart of everything we do and all that we stand for, embracing differences, creating possibilities, and growing together. We aim to foster a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel confident in bringing their whole selves to work, feel included and their talents are nurtured, empowering them to contribute fully to our purpose.
This is literally a once in a lifetime opportunity to join a team of highly skilled individuals, all focused on delivering the best possible outcome.
If you're ready for a new challenge and want to be part of the team delivering this essential lab work, please apply today.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnerships, pregnancy or maternity or age
your application has been submitted