6 month contract
Competitive day rate
We're currently seeking a Postgres DBA, to work within a state of the art, high output diagnostics laboratory environment as part of the UK's NHS Test and Trace programme.
As well as playing a vital role in supporting society's return to a more normal way of life by helping to break the chains of COVID-19 transmission, you will also gain invaluable experience and exposure to some of the country's most highly skilled individuals in the scientific community.
This represents a once in a lifetime opportunity to go above and beyond to support public health, while also extending your already accomplished technical skills and positioning your Scientific career for further success and growth.
To provide database, server and software configuration management in support of the Informatics software development team.
- Installation, administration, support, maintenance, monitoring & upgrading of database servers.
- Coordinate the architecture and technical design of solutions proposed by the team, creating and policing a holistic technical architecture vision for the company.
- Take strong ownership of software engineering standards, documentation, tools, methods, and environments, proposing and delivering a standardised approach to software engineering across the company, so as to avoid a collection of point-solutions and instead create a unified and integrated software portfolio supporting the whole UK Biocentre business-as-usual operation.
- Guiding the development team to create databases, tables and files to fit into a coherent best-practice architecture.
- Performing query optimization, database design, optimization in addition to providing assistance to stakeholders in writing complex queries, stored procedures/functions, views, and DDL/DML/DTU scripts.
- Troubleshooting complex database performance and data retrieval issues.
- Ensuring data and systems security, taking responsibility for proper control of authentication and privileges, and adherence to the security compliance standards i.e. ISO, GDPR, and the internal information security policy.
- Maintain database operational, disaster recovery, backup procedures/processes to ensure continuous availability and fast recovery.
- Undergraduate degree in IT or computer science
- 3+ years of database management and query experience working with Postgre on Linux
- Good experience of working with MS SQL on Windows operating system platforms.
- Strong working knowledge of Postgre database platforms and structures, storage & memory architecture, processes.
- Excellent understanding of SQL, as used within data analytics development languages.
- Familiar with managing enterprise level mission critical databases in a 24/7 business.
- Sound knowledge of driving software configuration management, software testing discipline, and development governance, as well as technical systems administration
- Postgre database design and administration to expert level
- Linux operating system administration at the command line, including editors and file management
- Good familiarity with MS SQL Server relational database (for legacy systems)
- Administration and configuration of Git software management tools
- Automation scripting using Python
As well as a competitive rate of pay, you will also be joining a diverse and hugely welcoming team. Diversity at NHS Test and Trace is about reflecting the communities we serve, holding the principles of equality and inclusion at the heart of everything we do and all that we stand for, embracing differences, creating possibilities, and growing together. We aim to foster a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel confident in bringing their whole selves to work, feel included and their talents are nurtured, empowering them to contribute fully to our purpose.
This is literally a once in a lifetime opportunity to join a team of highly skilled individuals, all focused on delivering the best possible outcome.
If you're ready for a new challenge and want to be part of the team delivering this essential lab work, please apply today.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnerships, pregnancy or maternity or age